Home     About     DIY     Recipes     InStitches    Contact

31.8.11

DIY Homemade Baby Wipes



My midwife and every nurse I've seen has asked about how to make our homemade wipes. It's so easy! So much cheaper than store-bought wipes. And so much better for Audrey's skin.

This is how we make ours.












You will need:

1 Roll of paper towels
1 Tablespoon baby shampoo
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup of warm water
A round sealable container (large enough to hold a 1/2 roll of paper towels)

This recipe is for one half roll at a time.

-Cut the paper towel roll in half using a sharp knife. I used a bread knife. Place the half roll into your container.
-Mix the olive oil and baby shampoo in the warm water. Stir it quickly to make sure it's nicely mixed.
-Pour the mixture over the paper towels in the container. Let the paper towels rest about 5 minutes to soak up all the liquid.
-When the paper towels have soaked up the liquid remove the cardboard center carefully from the roll. Pull out the paper towels from the center. Your wipes are now ready to use!

We really love these wipes! I really prefer them for Audrey's skin. I find that her skin reacts better to the homemade wipes and her little bum stays soft from the olive oil. I tend to add a little less baby shampoo and a little more olive oil.

I've also used them to remove makeup. They rule.

Enjoy!

xoxo
Talia Christine


Please take a moment and vote for us below!

Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

32 comments:

  1. wow. this is so interesting. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you!!!
    (i just used my last baby wipe this morning!)

    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dee: Eee!! Perfect timing! Let me know how you go!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! Thank you!
    One question though - how long do they last before the towels just disintergrate? Does it depend on the brand?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina Garduna (mama)August 31, 2011 at 1:26 PM

    Tal,
    Do you remember back when I made home-made baby wipes just like this when Jaime and Josh were little?? I ALWAYS used home-made and LOVED them!!! It brought back a flood of memories... esp the part where you pull the cardboard center out! Good times....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fantastic idea! I'm going to give this a go today. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom did this with all of us! I remember mixing up the solution and pulling out the cardboard centers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to make them, too - got the recipe from your mom, of course, Talia. :) I believe we always used the Bounty towels, but I don't know if you have those in NZ or not. They do need to be strong. Also, I think we added a tsp. of baking soda to the liquid mixture to help preserve the freshness - so they won't get stinky. Audry is a lucky baby to have you as a mom. :)

    Karen Cox

    ReplyDelete
  9. i didnt even know you could do this! ill have to try it!

    Hey make sure you come check out my fist gaveaway!! yay! http://christanncox.blogspot.com/2011/08/first-giveaway.html?spref=tw

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truly a great idea!!!! I also love the idea for using them as make up remover wipes...I will have to try this♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! I'm expecting my first baby next year (eep!) and I'm all about being nice to the environment. I've also read you can cut up old t-shirts to make nice soft washable wipes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOooo, will have to try this !!! How long before they dry out and how do you store them ??

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so amazing.

    http://inspiredmadness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I had no idea you could make this at home! I use baby wipes to remove makeup sometimes too, so maybe I'll give this a go. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i don't have babies... but when i do i am going to be all over this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Twins on the way and plan on trying these! Thanks for the step by step!

    ReplyDelete
  17. do you remember where you bought your container?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Genius idea, thanks for sharing!! (visiting from a cup of Jo :)

    krstnhd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is brilliant!! i worked for a woman who used a wash cloth and water...but that was just way too messy when it came to poo. i am pinning this! i love it!

    www.wewouldlovetoadopt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I think coconut oil would also be a great oil to use as well as aloe vera. Gonna give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  21. "I am very happy to read your articles it’s very useful for me,
    and I am completely satisfied with your website.
    All comments and articles are very useful and very good.
    Your blog is very attention-grabbing. I am loving all of the in
    turn you are sharing with each one!…

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away free. I love seeing website that understands the value of providing a quality resource for free.Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made these tonight. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Please tell me the procedure to make home wipes for small children.
    honest diapers
       

    ReplyDelete
  25. I always preferred purchasing baby wipes instead of making them at home. Anyways they are not that costly but I like your post. May be will make some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have raised an important issue..Thanks for sharing..I would like to read more current affairs from this blog..keep posting.. cheapest nutramigen

    ReplyDelete
  27. I use baby wipes - it's just not practical when you're on your own with a screaming baby to run some hot water into a bowl etc.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments and I try to respond to as many as I can so don't forget to check back! xoxo